Essex Police have designed and launched a brand new website, dedicated to preventing hate crime.
The new website called ‘Stop the hate’ provides information on what hate crime is, how to report incidents, news items and details of supporting organisations.
What is hate crime?
The ‘Stop the hate’ website defines hate crime or ‘prejudice-based incidents’ as being ”any incident, which may constitute a criminal offence, which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by prejudice or hostility towards a personal characteristic.” These personal characteristics include:
- Race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origin, including gypsies and travellers
- Religion, belief or faith, including having no faith
- Gender identity, including transphobia – resentment or fear of transgender people or transvestites
- Disability or perceived disability– including physical, sensory, mental ill-health or learning disability or difficulty. It includes temporary disablement and life-limiting illness.
- Sexual orientation, including homophobia – resentment or fear of gay, lesbian or bi-sexual people. Includes resentment or hatred of heterosexual people.
Hate crime can take many forms including:
- Physical attacks – such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti, neighbour disputes and arson.
- Threat of attack – including offensive letters, abusive or obscene telephone calls and other intimidating behaviour as groups or individuals.
- Verbal abuse or insults, abusive gestures.
- Other abuse – offensive leaflets and posters, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, unfounded and malicious complaints and bullying at home, on-line, in school or in the workplace.’
If you experience hate crime, firstly go somewhere you are safe and get help. You can call the police on the non-emergency number, 101.
In the event of an emergency where you need police to attend quickly, call 999.
Essex Police take a positive action towards any of these incidents and they ensure that all reports will be solved.
This fantastic new website includes downloadable leaflets in PDF such as the stop the hate A5 Hate Crime Booklet, an easy read A4 Booklet on hat crime and the HIRC protocol.
You can visit the new hate crime site here: www.stopthehate.org.uk
Essex Police also have a twitter account, so feel free to follow on www.twitter.com/stopthehate .
Image courtesy of: http://www.stopthehate.org.uk/
Written by Sian Spurrier