Essex County Council
Book of the month
Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien
Set in Canada, ten-year-old Marie and her mother take in Ai-Ming, a young woman who has fled China following the aftermath of the Tiananmen Square incident. As relationships deepen, the story of Ai-Ming’s family in revolutionary China is told, and Marie learns about the father she lost. This is a moving and extraordinary tale.
The Extra Hour
The Extra HourThe clocks go back an hour this month. Why not spend the extra time curled up with one of these great books? Lose yourself in stories of crime, love, life and lies.
Books that make you giggle
This selection of funny picture books will bring a smile to the faces of children of all ages, and their older readers too! Everyone enjoys a good giggle, so grab something funny to share with your little ones.
Black History Month
October is Black History Month, and to celebrate we’ve produced a brand new booklist written by the very best black authors. From Mike Gayle to Toni Morrison these recommended reads are not to be missed.
Libraries Week 8-13 October
This year Libraries Week is all about wellbeing, giving us the opportunity to remind you about some of the wonderful services you can take advantage of.
We’ve highlighted 6 services which help people to stay connected, provide support, get involved and feel happy.
- Our Sensory Walls are available for family sessions, bringing people together in an inclusive environment.
- Book groups are a great way to meet new people and share a love of reading. Make time for yourself, and get stuck in to some great books. You may even find a new favourite author!
- For anyone living with memory loss we offer a membership card that doesn’t incur any late return fees. Find out more about the Memory Support Card.
- Volunteering is a great way to get more involved in your community. Whatever your skills or interests, you can get involved, from taking books to people’s homes, to running Code Clubs or delivering Rhymetimes.
- For free access to hundreds of the latest magazines and newspapers from the UK and beyond, try out PressReader, Read on below for more information on this amazing resource.
- Essex Libraries offer space for hire, enabling you to start that group or club you’ve been dreaming of. We currently have a wide selection of activities happening in libraries out of hours, from Dungeons and Dragons to seated yoga.
PressReader is an exciting new online service available to all Essex Libraries customers. It provides free access to a wide range of newspapers and magazines from the UK and around the world. This includes most of the UK daily tabloids and broadsheets as well as local publications such as ‘Essex Life’.
There are 100s of magazines covering everything from homes and gardens to sports and entertainment just as they appear in print.
Simply visit pressreader.com on your PC or laptop or install the app to download newspapers or magazines to your smartphone or tablet. Search for Essex Libraries and enter your library card number to read or listen to a wealth of publications free of charge – try it out today!
Our catalogue has recently been updated, and has lots of new features.
You can browse the entire catalogue, of over 500,000 records, or use the filter options to narrow your search by an item’s location, language, material type, availability and the date it was added to the catalogue.
Once you’ve found the item you’re interested in you’ll see all the different editions and formats it’s available in, and can easily choose which one is right for you.
Would you like to receive confirmation of any items you renew online? Then sign up for email notifications today.
Online payments are also available, making it easy and convenient for you to manage your library account online.
Find out about the other improvements to the catalogue by watching our video and see the step by step guides to the new functions.